Thursday, February 22, 2007

TO OLGA

This is a Waltham gold fob watch,
heirloom from your paternal grandmother, pawned
innumerable times by her contemptible husband
to compensate for income lost
to three day drunks. It bears, inside,
this inscription:
To Olga, Oct 12, 1916,
as well as several rows of rudely etched numbers,
one scrawl for each time it was pawned.
Incompetents from subsequent generations
pawned it, then reclaimed it--
a talisman for inherited failings.

by Nathaniel S. Rounds


reddit Digg Mixx Fark Google Bookmark Facebook Twitter StumbleUpon del.icio.us Technorati

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this a lot. It's a unique look at a harrowing history of abuse and deceit. It's really not about a watch at all, now is it?

I always used to buy Waltham watches. Now I don't even wear one of the things, just call me jewelry-less pauper!!!

Anyhow, I used to buy those Walthams at Hill's stores before they went under. I guess Waltham is not the make it once was at the turn of the century (ah, the 20th century, not this century). It was then a top watch making concern. Now, I think the watches are made in Asia somewhere. They were still damned good watches. Now I can collect my ad fees from Mr. Waltham, huh?

3:43 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Smart in its details--I like this very much.

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home